Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Zhanjiang Finance and Trade School: "Don't Go Here!"

Last week in class, I did a lesson on ad slogans and commercials. I started out with some popular ad campaigns from the US, such as "Diamonds are Forever," "Good to the Last Drop," and "Melts in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hand," and had the students guess what type of company they represented. Then they each made a practice slogan for our school: I found out what they really thought of this place when everyone came up with something along the lines of "Don't Go Here!" and "It Is a Waste of Time." Oh well!

Next, I had each group choose from a bag of random items I brought from my apartment (a can of baked beans, nail polish, UNO cards, a CD, vitamins, etc) and make up a commercial and slogan for the product. They got really creative with it, and some of the slogans were very clever. Here are a few of the best ones:

"It's My Savior!" (A Chinese-English dictionary)
"Taste It, Taste the World." (Trident gum)
"Keep the Doctor Away!" (Zinc supplement)
"A Good Book is a Good Fortune." (Principles of Economics book)
"Little Nurse" (Band-Aid)

No comments: